Aug 31, 2007

10 years...

Today marks the 10th anniversary of Princess Diana's death.....do you remember where you were when you heard she had died?

I was 25 years old and 5 months pregnant with Susannah and I was in bed...it was early Sunday morning and my then-husband Nigel was downstairs making coffee...he had the tv on down there and he called upstairs to say to put the tv on...he said he thought one of the royals had died - but he didn't know which....

He came upstairs with coffee and we sat in bed watching the news to see who it was...we both assumed it was the Queen Mother.

When they said it was Diana we were stunned. Absolutely stunned! It didn't seem possible!

That day was the day we were having Christophers 4th birthday party. We weren't sure whether to cancel or not but decided to go ahead with the party - we had a lot of people coming and we had a magician and Punch and Judy performer coming to entertain all the children.

Everyone invited came to the party except for my friend Julie and her 3 children.

I later found out that Dianas death had affected Julie very badly - she was frightened to drive because of it and she kept having visions of Diana sat at the end of her bed......she was always a nervous driver after that day. Sadly Julie died 4 years ago.

So that was what I was up to on the day that Diana died.

I remember watching the funeral on tv - and sitting in my window looking out - all the stores were closed during the funeral and the street was really quiet.

What do you remember?
Related Posts with Thumbnails