Sep 27, 2007

A return to homeschooling??

Lloyd left for the airport at the same time as the children left for the bus this morning...he said that at the end of the drive Abigail told him she didn't want to go to school....he figured it was because he was leaving...but she told him that she is bored at school and that they won't let her do any math.

I told him she was fine and she was happy when she got home - so then I asked her a little later what she liked about school. She said she HATES school (this she emphasised by holding my face) and that its boring and she wants to do math but the teacher 'won't let her'.....

She is coming home with pages of a single letter that she has had to trace and she has to learn a song about each letter to help her learn the letter.

Abigail was doing this over two or three years ago....no wonder she's bored.

She doesn't need to learn a stupid song to remember her letters or their sounds...

I was hoping the teacher would be better able to handle a class of mixed abilities but it doesn't seem to matter if some children are reading and others aren't....she makes them all do the same thing. Its not a huge class - less than twenty...she has a helper EVERY day...

If we talk to the school they will probably act like we don't know what we are talking about - we are obviously parents who are pushy and want their child fast-tracked...which couldn't be further from the truth - we just want Abigail to continue to LOVE learning - at HER pace....

Anyway, I always thought this would be a problem. I don't want her put into grade 1 because I know that by grade 3 I will regret having her in a class with girls so much older.....we went through that with Susie.

So maybe we homeschool for a few years and then try school again....

We've said we will give it until November and go to parents evening and see what she says....if the teacher cant say anything positive about Abigail then we will remove her from class...I don't thinka teacher who can't say anything positive about a child is any good at all - no matter how long they've been teaching! I don't want to hear that 'Abigail counts to fast'....she could say 'Wow Abby you're a great counter - can you try that a little more slowly for me?'

Abigail loves to learn - she loves worksheets and doing 'work'...always has...and I want her to be able to continue to learn in the way that suits her...in the way she loves....

I thought two days a week wouldn't make much difference but it does :(
Related Posts with Thumbnails