May 9, 2008

Swingball!




Swingball was a HUGE part of childhood for Lloyd and I. We both grew up with one in our gardens! We wuld spend many Summer night driving our neighbours crazy playing Swingball all evening :) and chatting across the fence :) Often untill Mrs Foot would call across the fence to tell us to be quiet and that Anna and Robert were trying to go to sleep!

My Mom and Dad bought my us our set in 1979 to keep us entertained all summer because we didn't have a summer holiday - instead we were saving up to go to Disney World the following year!

Its funny - I played Swingball so often way back then that I got REALLY good at it - and it's obviously a skill you never use because we set out new Swingball set up yesterday and even all these years later I have retained my Swingball skills hahahahaha! Much to Christophers dismay - twenty (er...something) years later (less said about that the better lol) I am STILL AMAZING at swingball!!!!! OMG who would have thought it!!!! hahahahaha!

I could bloody play Swingball for Britain!!! (Sorry Canada I WOULD play for Canada in the way that Greg guy choose to play for Britain but I am not yet Canadian)

I THRASHED my 15 year old Son 4 times last night!!!!! There was no way I was going to let that smug little guy win hahahahahaha :) Not after he put Jane is crazy on my Ma earlier this week :)

Swingball (kind of like Boggle) must be my THING :)

It always was :)

But sad to say....like everything these days the manufacturers have taken a good thing and made it crappier. It is made cheaply and thinly and isn't made as well as it was. It no longer pings up when someone wins. It no longer goes sturdily into the ground. It stands into a thinly made box you have to fill with water but then still wobbles badly when you hit it. The bats are not as solid. It's hard to tell if you have won. It just isn't as good quality as it was when we were little. Sigh.

But my kids love it as much as I loved it when I was their age. We were all out there all evening last night and I can see us having many nights of fun with it all summer long - and it doesn't cost much so as long as it lasts this summer then thats fine!

It kept the children busy while Lloyd and I got on with the flower bed we were working on last night (we got it finished woohoo!

Dd anyone else have a Swingball when they were young? Anyone else have one now?

I definitely recommend it :) Tennis fun for a small yard :) Even my 6 year old LOVES it :) Great for hand - eye co-ordination!!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails