Nov 25, 2008

Clay hut day....




Abigail is not at school today....so she has missed out on a field trip with the lady from the 'clay hut' in Sherwood Park - who taught my pottery class. I'm really sad she missed out, so I thought I would teach her myself! We've played with clay a lot in the past, so I know Abigail loves it, but we haven't made the pinch pots that I was taught by the clay hut! I am thinking that if they were going to be taught a real 'technique' today, then probably THIS is what they will be taught. And if not, then at least Abigail can take her pinch pot in to school tomorrow with pride and show her class what she made at home with some information on pinch pots to show they are real and have history!

We massaged the clay until it was nice and soft and then rolled it into balls before using our thumbs to create the pinch pots.

Sam had fun making one too and then had fun squishing it - but then he made a snowman too! I enjoyed showing them the technique of connecting clay together using vinegar and rough edges and then sealing the joins with extra clay and smooting it over the join. Abigail made a bear using this method and sam is waiting for his snowman to dry and then we are going to paint it and glue on buttons! I'll photograph them when we are finished!
Related Posts with Thumbnails