Apr 15, 2009

Brazilian sweetened condensed milk cake


I baked this last night - a recipe I found on the 'Eat Me delicious' blog. It has a really simple but strange recipe and I thought I'd give it a try as I had the ingredients. Instead of a ring pan I baked it in a loaf pan for 40 minutes (until a skewer came out clean).

I think it's one of those cakes you either LOVE or hate......Sam really wasn't keen but Abigail LOVES it - Lloyd really liked it too!!! Even warm out of the oven and he doesn't normally like them warm....

This cake doesn't have the normal texture of a sponge cake. It's hard to describe! I think it would be nice sliced with tinned fruit though!!! :)

I'm loving baking and cooking in the new kitchen - just a shame I only get to use it at night and that I still don't have counters yet! Can't wait for the work to be finished and to have it to myself ALL DAY and have lovely quartz counters to work on and a huge island :) And to be able to bake with the children each day :) We have so many plans and so many recipes saved that we want to make! So many experiments we want to do too! We even have plans to make paper - there are some fabulous paper making kits at Michaels we want to get that will get us in to paper recycling and we can't really start doing that until the island is done - but Susie and I want to start doing that as soon as the island is done - we were looking at it all last week and choosing the sets we want to get and talking about everything we want to get to get us started.......the frames etc so we can start making sheets of recycled paper and card stock together :)

Anyway, here is the recipe:



1 can (395g) sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
120 g all purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
50 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF; generously butter a 22cm* (9in) ring cake pan.

Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until risen and a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean (about 35 minutes).

Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely before unmolding.
Related Posts with Thumbnails