Mar 19, 2010

Thankful for...


Smoke alarms!!

My smoke alarm in my mud room went off this morning - about ten minutes after I had put a load of laundry in the washing machine and a load in the dryer.  It's a TERRIFYING noise isn't it?  When you aren't expecting it.
I mean sometimes it doesn't scare me - like when you burn the toast or something and you KNOW why it's gone off - but other times when it's unexpected, it is just the most terrifying noise EVER :(

I swear I literally stopped breathing and ran into the hallway to try and tell where the noise was coming from.  I could then smell burning :(

I raced into the mudroom and the smoke was already thick :(  I ran into the laundry room in a panic and pulled the plugs out of the wall and switched both machines off - not knowing which the smoke was coming from - flung open the window and grabbed the fire extinguisher.  I half expected it to be the tumble dryer.  It wasn't.  It was the washing machine.  

Thankfully - because of the smoke alarm, it was caught in time and there was no fire - just a LOT of smoke and a really NASTY burning smell.  My house stinks - but I am grateful it is still here!!!

After sorting it all out and making sure everything and everyone was safe and that there really was no fire - I phoned Lloyd, and promptly burst into tears!  I think it was the shock lol!

I am so glad we have smoke alarms in almost every single room here - and fire extinguishers and everything else.....I am so grateful for that piercing loud noise that scared me into action!!  

This washer has served us well - I guess it's time to go shopping for a new one this weekend!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails