Aug 10, 2012

Things I have learned....

I learned so much over the last few weeks.

I learned that I LOVE camping.

That holidays do not have to cost very much to be FANTASTIC.

That kids don't care whether they are close to home or in a foreign country - they don't care about five star hotels...they just LOVE relaxed, fun days of Summer, making new friends and creating memories :)

I learned that I am brave and strong and can do it :)

I learned that I love driving.  Even after getting home from a 7 or 8 hour drive I am more than happy to head back out.  In fact I often feel restless or bored if I don't.

I learned that I love doing things on my own - I love my own company and have no problem going to museums, restaurants, for photography drives or even camping - on my own :)

I have learned that I really REALLY like Southern Alberta - especially Calgary.  I learned that I'd quite like to live there :)

I learned how to cook all meals and drinks on either an open fire or a one ring camping stove :)

I learned how to keep food cold even without a fridge.

I learned that I sleep MUCH better in a tent than I do in my own bed at home.

I learned how to put up the 6 person tent.  I also learned to allow a group of teens to pack it away at the end of the holiday :)

I learned my way around several new cities and towns.

I learned how to put gas in from almost every kind of gas station/ gas pump possible I think - and we came across some VERY unusual/ old fashioned ones hahaha :)

I learned that sleeping in the truck isn't particularly comfortable but was quite an adventure.

I learned that I really REALLY miss Sam and Abby when they don't come camping!  Camgrounds are definitely more fun with kids around - and I just know how much fun they would have had from morning until dark last weekend.

I learned that I miss all my art supplies when camping - pens just aren't enough lol!

I learned that I HAVE to create - and that when I go a few days without using my art journal, I CRAVE it.  Writing and drawing and painting is a part of who I am.  My early mornings with coffee and my art journal by the campsite were wonderful :)

I learned that dinosaurs don't ever have hair but MAY have had feathers - even T Rex MAY have had feathers!

I learned that coal miners played some really funny jokes on each other.

I learned why Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump has that name!

I learned that I really over estimate the size of things!

I learned that sitting by the pool for hours until the kids are ready to go is wonderful.

I learned that having a rough plan for a road trip/ holiday is the best way to do things - we are not the scheduling type.  It was lovely to know where we would 'like' to go....but to know that if we really liked somewhere a lot we could stay longer, and if there was somewhere we didn't like, we could leave earlier.....I'm sooooo glad I didn't book anywhere beyond the first campground - we loved it there so much we booked two extra nights :)

I learned that the whole thing about homeschooled kids not knowing how to be socialize is absolute nonsense (not that I didn't know this before lol) but Abigail and Sam made friends sooooo fast everywhere we went - we all did - and it was almost always my kids who instigated the friendships!  Abigail ended up being invited to a campfire and supper at a friends trailer....and Susannah's friends adored Sam - in fact it was Sam who first joined in the game with David and his friend.

I learned that sunshine seems to follow us :)

I learned that I am amazing at map reading and directions - and that Susannah has improved dramatically because I made her be the main map reader this Summer!!

I learned that getting kids to write postcards is no easy task!  Even just one each!  Lol!

I learned that actually getting around to POSTING those postcards was not something I was good at :(  In fact one is still missing - it was in my journal and now I can't find it :(

I learned that I am not so bothered by bugs any more - having had to share bathrooms with them for the last few weeks :)  Lol!

I have learned that I like being single and whether I stay single or not in the future, I will ALWAYS make trips like this on my own and with the children.

I learned that there are endless unhappy couples just 'going through the motions'....listening in on conversations at the campground was VERY interesting.  I only hear ONE couple talking nicely to each other - and the way they were talking, it was obvious that they had not been dating very long at ALL!!

I learned that I couldn't live somewhere extremely windy.  Waterton was very pretty but our skin was soooo dry and sore after staying there - the wind is incredible and not kind to your skin.

I learned that I quite like 'roughing it' and would like to do more camping in wilder/ back country areas.

I learned not to drink too much in the evenings, because 4am walks to the bathroom are not much fun lol!!

I learned that I love to be busy.  I don't like having nothing to do.  I feel the need to be out doing things.
Related Posts with Thumbnails