Mar 21, 2007

Do I sound 'brilliant'????? lol!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6470095.stm

I thought this was quite funny.......it talks about how North Americans react to a British accent...

I have lost count how many times people have commented on my accent and told me how much they love the way I speak...it's happened twice in the last week alone...a Mom at preschool and then one of the men at the John Deere dealertship......

Most of the time I forget that I speak 'differently' to others here.....sometimes I even have to struggle to tell if someone on tv is British or American...and sometimes when I overhear people in town I can't tell if they are British or Australian (which drives me nuts as that is one accent I can't stand lol!That and South African accents yuck!)

Christie takes the piss out of me for words I use (knickers and spots lol) but even then I don't notice my accent most of the time...

Occasionally I see people staring at me in stores...when we first moved here it was bad and I felt like I had two heads sometimes...but over the years more and more Brits have arrived and now I think its really common.....

One thing that struck me though is that Stephen Fry is Hugh Lauries comedy partner.....yet he doesn't mention the fact that Hugh Laurie puts on a really bad and really horrible kind of fake American accent for his character in 'House'...I heard him speak in that accent once and could NOT sit through even one episode because his accent is so awful....and so different to his real accent....the one I'm used to...

Yesterday Susannahs teacher emailed me a power point presentation Susie had done at school...and when she got home Susie read it all to me.....and she kept saying 'water' but of course she says 'wadder' in her Canadian accent.....where as I say 'worter' lol!

Oh and I don't think I sound brilliant at all...I just sound English ;)
Related Posts with Thumbnails