May 20, 2007

Woody woodpecker....






I finally got some pictures of our Pileated Woodpecker today....we have a few of them that live around here.....their tapping sounds so different to the tapping of the Downy Woodpecker that we also have here.....the Downys tap is more irregular...

This woodpecker was tapping at the electric pole in our road...but wasn't bothered by us...it let me get right under the pole taking pictures.....it's a male Pileated because it has a red moustache.......

Dan ran back to the house to get my other lense but Charlie (who had followed us out into the road) started snorting under the pole...the woodpecker started chirping and then flew off......so I didn't get any close up pictures sadly....when I hear it again I will try again......I think its nesting in our wood by the road....
Related Posts with Thumbnails