Apr 25, 2008

Eeeewwwwww!!

Medi centres are disgusting places!!!! Doctors offices are bad enough but medi centres are just so much worse! They are full of sick people!!! YUCK!!!

Last night was date night and guess where I spent it!!! YES! In the medi centre! After almost a week of pain in my right chest/ rib area, Lloyd had had enough, so he insisted I get checked out. So as he had had the afternoon off for us to meet with our contractor for the new kitchen, we headed into town to the medicentre. (For those in the UK, a medicentre is like a drop-in doctors office that anyone can go to - you don't need an appointment and it isn't your own doctors office - you don't even have to have your own family doctor over here - we do but I didn't bother making an appointment there this time so we went to the medicentre instead)

Well, anyway, I signed in at 4pm and they said there would be an hour or so wait, so we went to Joey Tomatoes for dinner!! Had a nice quick early supper before heading back to the medicentre to be told there were still 15 people ahead of me and it would be another hour and a half wait so off we went AGAIN - this time to get a birthday gift for Susies friend. Got back at 6:15pm to be told 8 people still ahead of me and it may be another hour STILL!!!! I decide to wait anyway but tell Lloyd to head off and get the groceries (I sent him to get GARLIC!!!!) while I wait.

So I sit in the only vacant seat. This is when I start to regret my decision. This is when I start to think that Michael Jackson has a lot more sense than people think he has! I wish I was wearing a mask and could stop sharing the same air as th epeople around me. The woman next to me is on her cell phone telling someone she thinks she has pneumonia - she then starts hacking up 'something' and coughing it into tissues which she puts into a bag. The man opposite is constantly sniffing (one of the things that drives me INSANE), all around me are sick people and I can literally see their germs crawling towards me through the air......SWIMMING towards me...I want to pull up my sweater over my mouth and nose and I want to turn away from the lady next to me but I don't want to be rude. I want to screw up my face in disgust every time she sneezes and snorts. OMG I am such a snob but it's HORRIBLE in there. All these sick people should NOT be out in public...


lol ok ok I KNOW it's the medi centre but REALLY!!!!!!!!

Lloyd eventually arrives back and comes in and sits with me and I can see on his face he is thinking EXACTLY the same as me and of course he isn't as subtle as me and he starts whispering (far too loudly) things to me....about private medical treatment and how Alberta really should have private doctors and offices where you don't have to wait and don't have to sit with sick strangers (I won't use his real words here) and of course I try and explain about how most Albertans are against the 'third way' but he doesn't listen lol......and in some ways I do agree with him and in the UK it does ease up the public system a lot by having people who can afford to pay for their care pay for it and go through faster.....I know some of you won't agree with that but why have those who can afford to pay take up valuable places in medicentres??? In may ways it helps both sides.

Anyway.....I think I went in just before 7:30pm!!!! 3 1/2 hours after arriving!!! But at least I wasn't actually sat there waiting all that time.

The Doctor is pretty sure I've just badly strained all the chest muscles on the right side but couldn't rule out a fractured rib - so she sent me off to have chest x-rays and prescribed a months worth of Tylenol 3's to be taken every 4 - 6 hours. She said it could take 3 - 4 weeks for it to heal. They said they'll send the results to my own Doc today but whether its strained muscles or fracture the treatment and healing are the same....

The cause? Coughing!!!!! I had no idea you could cause this much pain from a cough!!! You can actually cause a fracture from coughing!!! Who knew!!!! lol!

Tylenol 3's are not agreeing with me :( I didn't sleep last night :( they make me dizzy and drunk and feel weird. They only really take the edge off the pain...not sure I'll bother.

I'm eating lots of garlic today because I am paranoid I'm going to come down with some weird virus from all those germs in that room last night lol - omg and I am not normally a germaphobe but really, eeeeewwwwwww!!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails