Apr 25, 2008

World Vision and rising food costs..

Val was telling me about this yesterday at breakfast. Vals Daughter took part in a fast in aid of World Vision a coupe of weeks ago at school, and as I am sure you are aware, our family and our company, sponsors two children through World Vision. A little girl named Margori in Peru, and a little girl name Malle in Mali, West Africa.

On Wednesday I spent some time packaging up another set of letters ready to go off to our girls. We send them stickers and a pictures, letters and other bits and pieces. We are only allowed to send things that are flat - so bookmarks and stickers etc. I'm just about to order a book for each of them in Spanish and French (their languages....but we are limited to what we can send them...but I LOVE writing to them and the children all help choosing things to send and writing letters and drawing pictures.

I know that our sponsor children will continue to receive food and aid from us but their communities may not do as well through this difficult time. While people in this country complain about the cost of gas and food prices here while they sip their Timmys and munch their junk food (picture me rolling my eyes please why don't you) I hope they take the time to appreciate everything they have in their lives that many don't have. I count myself extremely fortunate to be in the position that I am in. I am so very VERY lucky to have all that I have in my life...from the very small things in life to gas guzzling truck outside, from my 5 healthy, happy children to the fact we are having a huge addition built soon, from our vacations on airplanes to our walks on our own land with our pot bellied pig and my bees soon to arrive. I am so very very lucky. But most of all I feel very grateful to be in a position to be able to now help two families in other countries - not just by sponsoring them monthly but by the purchase of gifts such as goats and other animals for their villages and communities and through other projects through World Vision.

When we first signed up with World Vision I wasn't too sure about them. They are a Christian organisation and we are not Christian. I was concerned they might push their beliefs on us or on the children in their programs. I have been very impressed so far! In fact Malle in Mali is Muslim and we have been asked to be respectful of her religious beliefs!!!! I am so impressed with that!!! How great is that? That just goes to show how open minded World Vision is in their programs!

Anyway, I wanted to post a couple of links to news stories about the problems World Vision is facing at the moment. If you are in the position where you can afford to sponsor a child then I wholeheartedly recommend doing so - I know our family has gained so much from welcoming Margori and Malle into our hearts :)

www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/04/23/worldvision-cut.html?ref=rss

www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080423/world_vision_AM_080423/20080423?hub=TopStories&s_name=

www.worldvision.ca
Related Posts with Thumbnails