Mar 7, 2010

Whip it!




Last night we all sat and watched Whip it! It was a good movie - all about roller derby. I think what I love most about it is that it shows that women - even in their late 30's can take part in a sport as fun and as thrilling and as ruthless!! My friend Christie asked me to join Roller derby with her a couple of years ago and I was really keen to do it - except they needed sooooo much commitment! It wasn't just a couple of nights a week - it was several times a week not including games. I just couldn't commit to that much training at that time.


There is now another team (several) in the city and they don't all require as much commitment. One only asks for two nights a week - which isn't so bad! It would be FAB if my local town could start one! THEN I'd be all set! If you don't know much about roller derby, you can read all about it




HERE  and if anyone is interested in learning about all the necessary equipment, or purchasing some - then you can buy all you need at United Cycles in Edmonton OR you can buy online and read up all about roller derby too HERE

And even if you aren't that interested in roller derby, this is just a fun movie - full of teen angst - parent- daughter tribulations, growing up in a small town, young love,  finding your passion and standing up for what you believe in!  Enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails