Apr 15, 2010

Australian Crunch


Yesterday I made a tray of Australian Crunch.  This is actually a square/ bar that we used to have many years ago at school in England.  I don't think it ahs any connection to Australia at all - but for some reason it was always called Australian Crunch.  It's a yummy mixture of cornflakes crushed up, mixed with coconut, drinking chocolate and a few other things and then baked...then once it is cooled you top it with an icing flavoured with drinking chocolate.  

Actually when I was at school I don't remember ever having it with the icing topping - we always had ours with a minty flavoured green custard made with cornflour (cornstarch and mint flavouring)  

It's a big hit with the kids - I made it so they could try something from my school days and have a treat to take to school in their lunch boxes!!!

Anyway, the recipe I used was:

Australian Crunch

Ingredients
3oz Sugar
3oz Coconut
2oz Cornflakes
5oz Plain flour
2tbsp drinking chocolate
6oz Margarine
For the topping:
8oz Icing sugar
2tbsp Drinking chocolate

Recipe
Melt the margarine in a saucepan. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl (it's better if you slightly crush the cornflakes first), add
melted margarine and mix well. Grease a 7.5 inch square baking tin. Turn mixture into tin and press down firmly, bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven (Gas Mark 5, 190C) for 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool. Mix the icing sugar and drinking chocolate with a few drops of water to make a thick iced topping, when completely cold spread the topping evenly over the top and place in the fridge to set. When set cut into even squares.

I doubled the recipe and it came out fine!!

While I was making this, I also made a double batch of my usual banana bread, except I didn't have any white chocolate:  


Related Posts with Thumbnails