Jul 15, 2012

Severe Thunderstorm hits Edmonton.

Click HERE for more on the big storm last week.

Last Thursday morning - in the very early hours, we all had to head down to the basement.  We had had a thunderstorm going on for hours with just CONSTANT flashing - and that was bad enough, but it just got worse and worse - and then my window started making the same sound as one of those party blowers - like a high pitched very loud screech...and the wind wasn't in gusts - it was CONSTANT - and I've never heard anything like it. 

People were posting about it all over FB but when the window started screaming I sent Laurence and text and he came up - one sound of the window and he agreed that we had to get to the basement NOW!!

We grabbed the children and headed to the basement.  Poor Susie had been terrified - and Abby was sooo scared too :(  Laurence was fabulous - he put on a movie for the kids and we all sat in his basement bedroom - it then started hailing and oh my gawd!!  It was soooo LOUD!!!  

Well my friend Arie posted this picture below, and if you can see the VERY dark red almost burgundy/ brown part - well, that is where I live!!!  And Arie is my neighbour/ friend - and when Canadians are as scared as you, you KNOW you aren't being silly about it!  

I'm actually shocked it wasn't a tornado - even if not at my house then close by - because the noise and the pressure on the house was unreal.


Laurence got some great pictures of lightning - and he also videoed the sound of the hail - you can watch his video clip on his FB page.


Rosie was down in the basement with us:


My poor scared little girl.  I was sitting in between Abby and Sam in the bed:


Lightning - the sky was actually this colour:


Unfortunately the storm was so severe that it left me very ill - a migraine started on the Wednesday during the day and stayed with me until Saturday morning.  It was very much like the migraine I got in Florida when the tornadoes went by.  I couldn't walk, talk, do anything and just slept until I stopped throwing up and the pain went on Saturday.  

Severe storms really do a number on me :(  

So grateful to my children - especially Susannah and Laurence for helping so much with everything while I was sick xxx   I am so fortunate to have such amazing kids.  Love them so much!!



Related Posts with Thumbnails