Mar 24, 2013

Going to prison...



On Tuesday, I took Laurence and Susannah, and we toured the new remand centre in Edmonton.  They were having an open house before the inmates move in and it opens for real on April 6th.

Although I was left with very mixed feelings after touring the prison, I am so glad we took the opportunity to go.  I don't think Laurence was too keen to go really but afterwards I think he was very pleased he went and we all found it very interesting!  

It was nothing like I expected it to be.  I can't imagine being locked away and not able to see the sky or birds or nature for a year or more.....

As much as it is new, it is still very much  an 'institution and reminded me greatly of the old psychiatric hospital I used to work in.







This is not my picture - but one I found on instagram.  You weren't supposed to take pictures inside, but I'm glad some people did:  


Related Posts with Thumbnails