Aug 11, 2006

The art of letter writing................

http://www.wendy.com/letterwriting/

I love to write letters....and even more than writing them, I love to receive them......I have always had penpals ever since I was about 12....maybe even younger. I have 5 penpals now and still love to write to people like my Nan too..............all of my children have penpals too..........in the US and in England.

Letters are so much nicer than Email...is there any better feeling than opening the mail box and seeinga hand written letter froma friend?

A couple of weeks ago there was a festival in Eastman, Quebec..........an annual festival on the art of letter writing. They place tables and chairs around the town and have tables set up in coffee shops and stores with paper and pens..............there are special mailboxes set up around the town too........

They encourage the townsfolk to take the time to hand write a letter........then they place them in the mailbox and the town pays for the postage! How wonderful is that?

My Sister had a Canadian penpal when she was a teen and when she was 16 she flew to their home to stay with her family............they were from Vancouver and had a log cabin in Whistler...the penpals Dad was the lawyer for the University of Vancouver........

I had an advert for penpals in a teen magazine when I was a young and got 120 replies!!!! And again when I had my first child I had an advert in a parenting magazine....they had a section called Mums In Touch...........I became very close friends with a penpal from that advert and in fact we are still penpals!

After Lloyd moved away from our home town when he was 13 and I was 14........we wrote to each other for a while.................he says he could smell the perfume on my letters even before he bent down to pick the mail up from the floor by the door! I kept his letters for years and then finally threw them away when I decluttered about 7 years ago....two years later I moved in with him and sooooo wish I had kept those letters!

Unfortunately all of my penpals live in the UK which means it takes 2 weeks for my letter to arrive to them and then 10 days for their letter to arrive to me.......it isn't fast..........anyone want a penpal locally??????
Related Posts with Thumbnails