Aug 7, 2006

Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village


So today we drove up to the Ukrainian Heritage Village. The children won free family passes during the Ukrainian Easter Festival at the Muttart back in the Spring and we finally found the time to use one of them.

I'm glad it didn't cost us to get in, as I was very disappointed in the whole place. We will go back, but ONLY on an occasion when they have a festival or special celebration taking place. Perhaps then it will be fun. We have another pass to use up so plan to go to the Harvest Celebrations there at the end of the season.

What didn't I like about it? The bathrooms were REVOLTING........the insides of the toilert bowls didn't look as though they had ever been cleaned. This had nothing to do with the water coming from the lake....it was due to dirt!

Food.........this made me really angry...I had been sooooo looking forward to trying some Ukrainian food........but the concession stands were closed and the only food they had was revolting. Burgers and fries. Hotdogs and fries. Pepsi or slushies..............I had a pioneer plate which was some horrible pyrohy (sp???) and a tasteless cabbage roll.......I had never had a cabbage roll before so was really excited to finally try one....but I don't think this even counts as a cabbage roll as I'm sure they HAVE to be better than THAT!! Basically I couldn't eat what I was served...Lloyd didn't really touch his either.

For a burger and fries each for the kids and some crappy attemtp at pyrogies and a cabbage roll, it came to $49!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fifty bucks for crappy food????????????? WTH???????????

The whole place seemed very much 'look but don't touch'................it had nothing for children.....My children love history...they adored Fort Edmonton Park.........and the museums but this place had nothing to inspire them and that is so sad. The school was ok but the spelling test they gave was aimed at grade 7 and older...............and was really dull anyway...I expected the teacher to be yelling and making them sing the national anthem or teaching a lesson to liven things up........

Next time we will be prepared. We will take a picnic. We will know what to expect. We will go and enjoy the festivities and enjoy celebrating harvest.....but that is all........I am so disappointed as I had heard great things......I had heard of the awards the place had won.

It just felt as though it could be a FABULOUS museum and centre but it doesn't put that last little bit of effort in.

It just doesn't compare to Fort Edmonton at all. Not at all. I would give it 1 mark out of 5. Such a shame.

What can I say that is good about the centre? It has saved many beautiful old buildings and barns and homesteads...the churches are very pretty and sweet. It was nice talking to the policemans wife and also to the lady living with her mother in law. And the early settler in her tiny mud hut was wonderful to spend time with.

But I didn't really learn anything more than I had learned at Fort Edmonton Park.
Related Posts with Thumbnails