Feb 20, 2007

Pancake day!

Today is Shrove Tuesday....or 'Pancake Day'......I don't think many people here actually celebrate it, but as a child it was quite a special day! I remember at playschool (preschool) we would have a pancake race......the Mums would race each other and then the children.....My Mum was really good at it.....I can stilll see her in the race now if I close my eyes! I guess I must have a good memory like Abigail....

Basically it was like an egg and spoon race except you had to run the race while flipping a pancake in a frying pan.......the children got to use 'play' frying pans and mine was pale greeny grey with a black handle......if you dropped the pancake you had to stop and put it back in the pan before running on........

We would always have pancakes for supper...with lemon juice and sugar or with golden syrup........

Here it seems to be a Catholic holiday......my children had a pancake breakfast at school this morning.....

And so tomorrow Lent begins with Ash Wednesday.....40 days of fasting although these days most people don't fast, but instead they give something up. It ahs to be something that means a lot to you or you really love or it isn't a sacrifice.......

Are you going to give something up? My Mum used to give chocolate up...and then you get to start eating it again at Easter........

I think I may ask the children if they would like to try giving something up for Lent....

At primary school I remember we were given little money boxes at Lent and we had to put the money inside each day...but I'm not sure what it was about exactly......

Its a good job Mum doe3sn't have to run the pancake race today........after her operation last week she may not win this year!
Related Posts with Thumbnails