Jun 14, 2007

Themes...

I like themes...I'm a theme gal!!! When I homeschooled I always used themes...sometimes they were to do with the day/ special events and celebrations....sometimes books.....sometimes trips or places......sometimes season or month....

I think I will be the same with the preschool.

Themes I have planned (and this list is not complete and not in order) are:

Olympics (because of the 2008's in Beijing)
The Gingerbread Man
The Three Little Pigs
Bees and Bugs
Butterflies
Ants
Chinese New Year
Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday)
Halloween
Christmas
Thanksgiving
Food
Birds around us
Hummingbirds (of course lol!!!!)
Colours
Numbers
Our community
Snow
The Moon
Frogs and Tadpoles

I plan to have a magic bag or box......something I take every day and it has a different surprise in it each time...something to show them during circle time....it could have anything in it from an ant farm to a wasp nest to a picture to a piece of animal fur......a chrysalis....a baby chick.......chopsticks...gemstones.....

This year they had 'top banana' where the children took in a special toy or item to show but the whole thing didn't seem to work very well.....so I want to rethink that! I do want to give each child the chance to be special for a day.....but I''m to sure how yet...all I know is I want to do something different.

The preschool is right by the fire station and one of the Dads is a fireman so we can go and see the fire station or have them bring a fire truck to us...the guy who runs the hall drives a school bus and is happy to drive us anywhere locally for a field trip...they've said that so long as there are no animal allergies, then I can even take Charlie along to show them one day.........maybe when we do the three little pigs!

I'm going to grow egg heads with them - where we draw faces on empty upside down egg shells and then grow cress inside the heads like hair!

In the Olympics week we can have our own mini sports day with bean bag throwing contests and little races and obstacle courses and they can each 'win' a medal :) We can learn about the colours bronze silver and gold. Look at Beijing on the globe......

With bees we can invite a local beekeeper (there are several around here) and maybe try honey or look at honeycomb.....maybe they can bring their protective gear to show the children.....

I'm rambling....so uh yeah...I've been planning...obsessively...but thats how I am ;)
Related Posts with Thumbnails