Jul 29, 2007

Oh What a Night......

We sat outside until late....by the fire....had s'mores.....Smirnoff Ice...(yep I failed dismally at detoxing lol!)

I sat there and read my current book (Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures).....good book....not the kind I would normally choose to read but I'm glad I'm reading it....

Charlie ate so much junk from the floor...marshmallows and cookies etc that she was sick......but she seemed happy enough! One chicken hung out with us too....

We saw storm clouds rolling in and some lightning so we packed up and tidied all the garden toys etc away.....I hosed down the fire.....and we headed in to bed....

The weather network said the storm had lost the intensity of earlier so we weren't too worried...but wow it was still a major storm! the lightning was amazing...just constant flashing.....it started around midnight here.......and went on until about 2am......but at one point we looked out of the window and were terrified because the wind of the storm had got the fire going again...despite me hosing it down!!!! and there were sparks and bits of the fire being blown up and across into the long grass by the side wood.......with all the heat of late and how dry the grass was we were really worried....the storm didn't bring much rain with it.....we always hose down the grass around the fire pit before lighting it but in the heat it evaporates very fast......

We watched for a while and then decided it needed to be put out properly....so Lloyd was very brave and rushed out mid-storm to hose down the fire.....

Its quite a way from the house - especially when lightning is all around.....and part of me wanted to watch Lloyd to make sure he was safe and part of me didn't want to watch because I didn't want to see him struck by lightning.......

He was fine though thankfully.....he put the fire out and then ran back inside....

I was still worried about smoldering grass though and grass fires.....so I didn't get to sleep until 4am........

They forecast more storms tonight.....last nights storm over the Devon area had toonie sized hail......that had gone before it got here thankfully.....

Tuesday will mark the 20th anniversary of the Edmonton Tornado....July 31st 1987...it killed 27 people and injured hundreds....One lady on LP said her parents still have the baseball sized hail in the freezer from that day......how amazing is that???!!

You can see pictures of the tornado at the following website:


www.iassistdata.org/tornado/
Related Posts with Thumbnails