Dec 9, 2009

It makes me happy to hear......

We had a discussion about tradition at dinner the other night.  It was lovely actually.  We ate by the glow of the Christmas tree and had some candles lit and I had surrounded the candles by baubles (or tree ornaments as they are known here lol - Susie laughs when I call them baubles).  and the light sparkling off the baubles on the table was just gorgeous!  We've been having dinner like this a few times lately and it makes dinner time so special!!  I recommend it - the actual meal doesn't have to be anything special - but add some candles or turn the lights down and eat by the glow of the Christmas tree lights!!!  The kids will LOVE it!!!

Anyway - back to the topic!!!  We were discussing traditions and I was asking each of the children how important our family traditions were to them.  Susannah and Christopher were quick to say how much they love to wait until late in the afternoon on Christmas Day to open the gifts under the Christmas Tree.  This made me so happy - Laurence disagreed and then Chris and Susannah shot him down and explained their reasons and then Laurence changed his mind and they all agreed that when they have children they will continue the tradition because they love that it makes the day and excitement last longer.

Susannah loves all the special ornaments and unwrapping them all and seeing the same ones each year - I love opening up the boxes with her and hearing her cries of 'Oh I LOVE this one...'ooooh this is my favourite'.  I think Laurence is the same too as he has his favourite ornaments he is drawn to...

Christopher loves our Gingerbread house making contests and is sooooo looking forward to that this year - he has BIG plans!!

They all complain about our annual Fall walk BUT I know one day they will be glad that we have those family pictures!!!  Probably not until they have families of their own though ;)

They all feel certain foods are an important part of Christmas and I know they'd feel Christmas would be 'wrong' without them....and Christmas crackers!!!  Christmas just would NOT be Christmas without those!!!

One thing the children did mention was that their friends go to Church on Christmas Eve and they thought they'd like to try that one year.......so I will check out the services and see about Midnight Mass or what time the services are on Christmas Eve....

It was a lovely conversation over beautiful candle and festive light - which I think will become a tradition in itself :)
Related Posts with Thumbnails