Mar 4, 2010

A little sunshine :)




I just can't imagine going THAT long without seeing the sun!!!




The balloon is an AirStar balloon light from France it is the biggest one of its kind in the world. it was up for 2 days, at a cost for tropicana of $100 a minute.


Some quotes from people who are from there/ were there (from youtube):


they donated alot of money to our town, to daycares, the school and gave familes free juice. Some families can't afford stuff like that all the time & now kids can enjoy daycare because they will have more toys & the schools can buy more stuff for the kids. I am appreciative for what they did for our town

 I was in Inuvik when this was up, it was a neat thing to do for the community, and if you start to think you're tough? Those kids walk to school at -47C.

If you have lived there you would know it is touching for so many reasons. It is a exciting event for Inuvik, not a political statement. Each year the sun is excitingly welcomed back, by fireworks even, you just don't get it. And it is further humourous as a jug of orange juice can hit $16 when the road is closed. Seeing my home, friends, and beloved town is amazing! 
I lived there 40 years ago and I know what I and my friends at Grollier Hall would have thought if that thing had been shining for a few days when ordinarily we would have been walking in starlight at noon back to the hostel for lunch. We would have thought it was wonderful. And I like Tropicana orange juice, but $16 a jug yikes! I complain about $4



Related Posts with Thumbnails