May 18, 2007

On death and dying.....

I've been meaning to post this for a while.....and this rainy day with nothing much to do seems the ideal opportunity.

What kind of funeral do you want to have? Would you choose a living funeral - where you celebrate your life with friends and family BEFORE you die? Would you plan for after your death? Pick your coffin, the music.....everything and prepay?

Have you thought about it....

I think my main reason for wanting to 'get this out there' and post about it is because I don't want Lloyd judged after I die.....

I seriously believe that a funeral is for the living - those left behind.....it isn't to do with the person who has died...its a way for those left behind to say goodbye and find peace with their grief.

So of course Lloyd could decide to go against all my wishes and have a grand affair of a funeral - thats up to him - whatever helps him.

But, if I have my way, there will be no funeral. I want the cheapest coffin possible....just a box..preferably nothing if you can have nothing....just cremate me and get my ashes.....sprinkle them somewhere meaningful to you.....and then blow the money that would have gone on a funeral on a family holiday somewhere fun! Go to Disney...or Scotland to our old haunts......go wherever!!

Having been unable to attend a few funerals of family and friends, I have really found that they don't really matter...they are like big white weddings to me - a total waste of money.

There are so many better ways to say goodbye to someone......with less wasted money.....

So if I die and I end up being cremated in a cheap pine box with no big send-off.....don't judge Lloyd - don't think he is being a cheapskate...he's just following my wishes....

And if he decides he 'needs' a big send-off to say goodbye to me then thats fine too .....because thats his choice. And i'll probably be looking down at him shaking my head and thinking of all the better ways he could have used that money to say goodbye ;)
Related Posts with Thumbnails