Nov 25, 2009

Get dirty!!!







Over the years I have had several friends who obsess over cleaning and keeping their homes sterile - and more importantly, keeping their children clean and sterile!!  I have always noticed that these families tend to be the ones who are always sick!!!!

I had a friend in the UK who used to disinfect everything!!!  The British equivelant of lysol wipes was always in her hands and she was constantly cleaning down door handles and the like.  Both her kids had asthma - and on top of THAT, they were just always sick - stomach flu, coughs and colds etc etc.

I've always believed that it is important for normal (ie no underlying MAJOR health reason to protect them) kids to build up a healthy immune system.  That, mixed with a healthy diet and adequate exercise and fresh air is soooo important in my opinion.

My home is clean - I focus on the bathrooms and kitchen daily, but I'd rather be doing things with my kids and letting them get messy and creative, than wiping down surfaces with lysol and worrying needlessly about germs.

Todays blog post on Free Range Kids is about results from a study in the US proving that keeping kids in a germ free environment is NOT good for them!  Kids need to come in to contact with those bugs from a very early age so they can build up strong and healthy immune systems.
Related Posts with Thumbnails