Mar 21, 2011

Home renovations continue...









I've been busy in the house over the last year....well, mainly over winter really!  
inspired by one of my favourite blogs 'All Things Thrifty', I have started buying old furniture at yard sales and thrift stores etc and refinishing it.  I LOVE the end result :)  I have altered things as simple as little wooden shelves, mirror and picture frames, towel rails......and then a couple of weeks ago I found this cupboard at Goodwill for $19.  It was reduced from $40.  It was really UGLY but (again, inspired from All Things Thrifty) I could see the potential....
I snapped up the cupboard, drove round to the back of the store and got the guys to load it up for me, and brought it home :)  

We won't mention the truck getting stuck in the snow when I tried to reverse into the garage...sigh....never mind....

Within an hour or so the cupboard had been cleaned up inside and out, sprayed and resprayed, it dried in the very warm garage, and then I gave it a couple of coats of lacquer before Laurence and I carried it up to my bedroom :)  

I LOVE it :)  

Abigail loves it too and just a few days later found her own cupboard at Goodwill for $10.  brought it home and refinished it.  I love hers so much that I'm 'borrowing' it in my mudroom at the moment ;)  She doesn't mind too much - but when she gets it back she wants to do hand prints all over it in different colours and put it in her bedroom :)  At the moment it's just white.  

I can't wait until yard sale season :)  

The other pictures show some wall words I've put up in my bedroom, my new bed (still haven't been to get the base....sigh....) and some picnic baskets I sprayed to match the room.  Oh and I painted the floor white.  I need to do another coat though....it's just time......so many jobs to do and so little time....

Oh and yes the rug on the floor - it's horribly tacky but for some reason I just love it!!  It looks like a dead golden retriever....feels like it a bit - except it's warm and soft!!  Sam wants one for his room now in a different colour :)  they are sooooo soft those rugs....and have rubber dots on the back to stop them slipping!  
Related Posts with Thumbnails