Jun 21, 2006

Track and Field Day






Yesterday was the homeschool groups sports day. It was soooooo much fun!

We were up early as CHris also started work at the museum yesterday. He looked so smart in proper shoes and a shirt :) We dropped him off just before 9am (very early start for us!) and as we had an hour to spare before homeschool group, I took the younger 4 to McDonalds for a surprise breakfast at the play place! We don't eat much fast food so it was a REAL treat!! When we walked in we ran into a Mom of Susannahs friend. She is also a teacher at their old school and is very nice. We chatted for a while and told her how excited we all were that it was Track and Field day and we were having a picnic etc...I think people are still surprised to hear that the homeschooling community is so big and so sociable...I think people still feel all we do is 'school at home'......it was a good day to run into her as the children were sooooo happy and bubbly and excited about homeschooling!

After breakfast we headed off to the homeshool group. The weather was perfect...warm and a little windy but not too hot and not rainy! We set everything up out on the field......there were races for all the different ages and us Moms joined in too......relays, sack races, egg ad spoon races, three legged races, bean bag toss, tug of war, and we even decorated frisbees for a frisbee throw........ there was a tube to crawl through for the little ones and face painting for everyone too.....

We stopped at 12pm for a picnic lunch together before more fun and games until 2pm when we tidied up and gave out treat bags. I took LOTS of pictures.....over 600!!!! And emailed some to the local paper in the hope that they will print some.....my favourite pic was one of C's little boy in the sack race!!! It was a great pic and I hope they print it! The older children aren't in the group picture as they had to go somewhere else at that time.....but there are quite a few older pre-teens in the group who took part in the races.

We headed home after the sports day. Abby fell asleep on the sofa just after dinner, and Sam didn't nap all day so fell asleep just after 6pm.....all the children were so tired from their fun day! It really was so much fun! I even joined in with the egg and spoon race....

Lloyd picked Chris up after work...his first day 'on the job' went so well...he is being given so much repsonsibilty and is learning so many things about archiving and protecting antiques and old papers etc etc... he is doing data inputting and helping create the museums website, working as an interpreter and giving tours to school children.....I think this job and experience will be a wonderful thing and I am so glad he is enjoying it all so much.

Yesterday I was buzzing from how happy I am that we have been homeschooling for a whole year. I love homeschooling here in Alberta.....the community is great and there are so many choices.....I love the life we are leading and I love how happy and alive my children are since they came out of school...I love the future I see for us....for them.......even if they were to go into school next year, I can see nothing but benefits to this time we have spent together.
Related Posts with Thumbnails