Aug 9, 2012

The Hoodoos of the Badlands.....



The Hoodoos near Drumheller weren't quite what I was expecting - but I am still glad we saw them.  I didn't expect them to all be fenced off - or to be quite such a 'tourist attraction'....many of the places we visited were empty and soooo quiet - so it was strange to drive up to the Hoodoos and see crowds of people!  You can hike up the Hoodoos to the top of the hill, but it was extremely hot, and Abigail doesn't do well in heat, so I stayed at the bottom with her and we had fun exploring while Sam and Susannah climbed up.  We built Inukshuks and read all the signs, looked in tunnels and took pictures....then sat in the shade until the other two were done :)  

An IG friend said she was surprised to see the main Hoodoo's fenced off now - so I guess they didn't used to be - but like Stonehenge, they have to be now to protect them - as some idiots had been writing in the rocks and knocking parts off.  Such a shame that a few people ruin in for everyone else.  

It wasn't easy to get pictures without people in the background, but I think I managed ok :)

The Hoodoo's are being eroded by the weather very fast - they have pictures there of how they used to look and several have now lost their caps and are much thinner - this is just natural of course, and these will disappear and others will be formed....but still, I feel fortunate to have seen them.








Related Posts with Thumbnails